FIRST® is the world’s leading youth-serving nonprofit advancing STEM education.
For 30 years, FIRST® has combined the rigor of STEM learning with the fun and excitement of traditional sports and the inspiration that comes from community through programs that have a proven impact on learning, interest, and skill-building inside and outside of the classroom.
2021-2022 Season in Numbers
All numbers are for the 2019-2020 FIRST® RISESM, powered by Star Wars: Force for Change, season.
- 679,000+ students
- 320,000+ mentor, coach, judge, and volunteer roles filled
2022 FIRST® Robotics Competition: Grades 9-12 (ages 14-18)
- 97,850 students
- 3,914 individual teams
2021-2022 FIRST® Tech Challenge: Grades 7-12 (ages 12-18)
- 77,000+ students
- 7,610 individual teams; 61 Class Packs
2022 FIRST® Scholarship Program
- Over $80 million in college, university, and technical program scholarships
- 3,000 individual scholarship opportunities
- 200+ scholarship providers
2022 FIRST® Volunteers & Sponsors
- 320,000+ volunteer roles filled
- FIRST® sponsors include more than 200 of the Fortune 500 companies
updated October 2022